- Product: Anti-Aging Rosehip Serum
- Vendor: Kimberly’s Kupboard
- Initial Review: 3/30/2016
- Price: $27.50
- Reason for Purchase: I needed a new hydrating lotion or oil to put on my face for the night and day. I wanted one that could also go everywhere (on my face, eyes, lips and neck). That way I could take a break from eye creams for a while.
As a serum, I not only expected the Rosehip Skin Serum to heal my skin, but also to promote healthy oil production. The benefit of having oily skin is that your skin won’t age nearly as fast, but that also means that you have to take care to regulate your oil production as much as you can. With Rosehip Skin Serum, I expected that the oil would help heal my skin, regulate oil production, and prevent acne.
The ingredients and their benefits are as follows:
- Rosehip Seed Oil – one thing I didn’t know is that you are supposed to refrigerate this serum because of the rosehip seed oil. The oil is a “dry” oil (which means it penetrates the skin easily and leaves no residue) and it is very delicate, so it needs to be protected (Source). It also contains high levels of Tretinoin, which is used primarily to treat acne. This seed oil has been used to heal the skin as well prevent photo-aging as it contains the following essential fatty acids:
- Linoleic (omega-6): anti-inflammatory
- Linolenic (omega – 3): anti-inflammatory
- Pumpkin Seed Oil – in this oil, the four dominant fatty acids are Palmitic, Stearic, Oleic, and Linoleic acid. These will help reduce itching, promote moisture, and cleanse. There are also a number of carotenoids as well (Lutein and Beta Carotene) which helps promote anti-oxidation (Source).
- Jojoba Oil – jojoba oil is a very powerful oil that has a long string of monounsaturated liquid wax esters that act like human sebum (or sweat). That’s not actually gross because human sweat is what keeps our skin hydrated, cleansed, and protected from oxidization. It also has a lot of Vitamin E that will keep the skin healed and moisturized. It also functions as not only a surfactant (cleanser), but an antibacterial as well (Source). It has a longer shelf life too because it does not have triglycerides (like grapeseed and coconut oil).
- Calendula Oil (Marigold) – Calendula flowers include flavonoids and linoleic acid, both of which are suggested to stop bacterial growth. Calendula oil is also anti-flammatory because of these flavonoids and the linoleic acid, and can help control bleeding and calm irritable skin.
- Carrot Seed Oil – Carrot seed oil is full of Vitamin-A, which fights against acne. It is also an anti-oxidant, which fights against free-radicals and prevents aging.
- Frankincense (Boswellia carterii) – Frankincense is a plant grown primarily in Somalia and is known as a incense herb for priests. It has a very powerful fragrance and can be applied topically. Frankincense is also a strong astringent, which means it protects skin cells. It also helps reduce acne by reducing the size of pores. It also helps to lift and tighten the skin, which prevents aging. This can also help with wounds and scars as well.
- Rose – Rose essential oil has Citronellyl Acetate that is responsible for the lovely smell. It also has Citral, which is essential for Vitamin-A synthesis. Eugenol, another component, is the strongest anti-oxidant in the world. The Methyl Eugenol is used as an antiseptic. It also has the antibiotic Nerol.
- Ylang Ylang – this is an oil that comes from a tree of the same name which comes primarily from southeastern Asia. The essential oils have anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, as well as a beautiful scent.
- Sandalwood – With its sweet, woodsy scent, this essential oil (which also may be an antioxidant) helps with mental clarity and calmness. It also has anti-viral and antiseptic properties, as well as anti-inflammatory. It may also help with coughing and high blood pressure.
So I expected Kimberly’s Kupboard Rosehip Skin Serum to stop any inflammation, reduce redness and dryness in the skin, and to provide a calming scent that I could sleep to when I put it on my face.
3/30/2016 – so far my skin feels nice and hydrated. The oil is very oily and doesn’t dry, so I would recommend it for nighttime use and very sparingly during the day. I will try tomorrow morning wearing it during the day. I also love the scent. It is a very strong scent, so if you are going to use it on your face, be warned that it is as strong as perfume and it is right by your nose. The strength of the scent dies down eventually, but for those who hate strong scents I wouldn’t recommend it.
It doesn’t heal as much as it moisturizes and makes you feel very calm. It sits on your face and you breathe it in. So the beautiful scent of rose and frankincense makes for a wonderful combination. It also hydrates my eyes and lips very well. Sometimes I just put it on my lips to keep them hydrated.
1 Month Later
4/30/2016 – My skin responds very well to the serum. It also works very well for my other friends, one who has chronic redness and dry skin, and the other who has black skin. They both found that the serum was very gentle and provided relief for dryness. I enjoyed how the serum smelled. The only thing that I felt it didn’t do was absorb very well. But that makes sense as my oil production is very high and that can affect how much is absorbed. I have to be sparing because the oil will sit on my top layer and refuse to absorb.
My friend with dry skin found that it absorbed very nicely and that it calmed her face when she had flare-ups. We only use a small amount on our faces during the day and a little more at night to promote regular oil production. The oil has lasted a long time though, with 3 people using it–there is still about half left. I really enjoyed this product and I intend to buy it again. I would warn against using too much, because it will get in your hair and make you very oily. It can also mess with your cover-up and how your make-up sticks to your face. So make sure when you are adding it sparingly, make sure you really are being sparing about it.
Check out more at Kimberly’s Kupboard on Etsy!
Rosehip seed oil, pumpkin seed oil, jojoba oil, calendula oil, carrot seed oil and a proprietary blend of essential oils including frankincense, rose, ylang ylang and sandalwood.